Friday, July 8, 2016

The Crime of Comparison

I’m sure we’re all quite familiar with the Theodore Roosevelt quote, “Comparison is the thief of all joy”. Immediately I read it and think, “duh”, it doesn’t take much to understand the meaning behind the quote. When we allow comparison in to our minds, it’s easy to allow our joy to be robbed. We find ourselves in want, rather than thanksgiving for what we have. It’s not a difficult concept to grasp, mostly because it’s such a FAMILIAR place to live. But, how often do we allow the truth of what the former president said to permeate our hearts and minds and change the way we live?

     I’ll tell you how often I do that…never. See, it’s one thing to know and understand something, it’s a completely other thing to actually allow it to influence the way you live.


     I have this competitive drive inside of me. If you really know me, I’m sure you’re not shocked. Constantly, I have to win. Everything. Always. I mean, I even compete with myself to see if I can make it through the grocery store in a quicker amount of time than last week. It’s ridiculous. And I know that. But I can’t help myself. I like to compete, and I like to compete well. It’s probably part of the reason why, after 25 years of life, comparison still crushes my heart and suffocates my mind. It’s something I’ve struggled with since I can remember, regular comparison to everyone about everything.

Is my body better than hers?
Does my makeup look as good as hers?
Are my outfits as put together as hers?
Am I as fun and conversive as she?
Can I play better than she can?
Are my lessons as good as that other teachers?
Are my giftings and talents as prevalent as hers are?

     These thoughts I have that compare me to others, could go on for ages! I’m sure I’m not alone, so why do we do this to ourselves? Why do we pit ourselves not only one against the other, but against our own selves, and the God who created us?! Well, quite simply, because we are sinners, and this is our plight. But that truth is not an excuse to allow this problem with comparison to keep us captive!

     When I was 12, I read a story about Amy Carmichael (missionary woman to India, opened the way for Indian missions, she’s quite the lady). Her achievements, though astounding, weren’t the parts of her story that most captivated me. Rather, it was the story within her story, about a lesson she learned as a young girl. As a child, she prayed every night that she would wake up and God would have given her blue eyes just like all the other English girls. Each morning, she raced to a mirror only to be sorely disappointed when she discovered God had not answered her prayers and had left her with her dull, boring, brown eyes. Years later, she finds herself serving the Lord in India, taking care of street children and ministering to women. The government tries to pursue her, threatening her life, and the lives of all those she’s been in contact. With the help of the local women, Amy disguises herself by tanning her skin and wearing a Burka. What else keeps her and all the others safe? Her brown eyes that help her to blend in with all the other Indian people! God knew what He was doing when He refused to answer young Amy’s prayers in the way she wanted them answered. He had a plan to use her far beyond what she could see as a child.  Had she been given blue eyes, could she have been as effective in India? How quickly would she have been caught? Would India be opened for missions the way it was after her work? We can only speculate. But God knows. He knew just how He wanted to use Amy, even down to giving her those dull, boring brown eyes.

     And, He knows just how He wants to use you and I.

     At 12, this story struck a chord so deep in my heart; it has branded me and changed me forever. It was the first time I realized that God didn’t make us all unique just so we’d be different. He made us all unique because He’s given us each a special and independent task to complete.

     It’s easy to look at our own qualities and features that we despise the most and think, “that might have worked for Amy, but I’m sure God doesn’t intend to use these thunder thighs/ my inability to filter my words/ my stutter/ my curly hair/ my freckles, etc. for His glory.” So maybe you’re right. Maybe some of the features He’s given you won’t be as obvious a benefit in your life’s work as it was for Amy Carmichael, but is that any less a reason to praise Him for what He’s given you.

     God’s given you LIFE, and that abundantly! Sure, there are things we can all do all the time to improve parts about ourselves (workout, control your tongue, practice kind speech, do things to improve the way you work professionally, study more), and we should strive to be the best we can be absolutely! But whom are we doing these things for? Is it for the glory of us, being the best and beating the rest? Or is it for the glory of the One who made us, to be used for a unique purpose in the best possible way?


     Comparison can be a crime, it can rob us of our joy, but worse, it causes us to lose sight of the truth. That God has made us each special and unique, called us to a specific task, and designed us (every square inch of our body, every aspect of our character) for His perfect work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment